Tuesday 21 May 2013

A Meeting With The Dalai Lama

When the Dalai Lama came up to speak he brought a University of Maryland cap, a giggle from the heart, and loads of wisdom. My brief encounter with the Dalai Lama was nothing short of a beautiful adventure. 

Aside from the obnoxious students sitting behind me talking about finals and being skinny, (were we all like that?), the Lama made his messages loud and clear. In between the giggles and little shoulder shrugs there were lessons about the importance of inner peace, happiness, compassion and great friends. All the things that bring warm fuzzies and feelings of a full heart. Oh, swoon! 

For the past little while I feel as though I am coming back into alignment with myself. By that I mean I had some kind of A.D.D before and couldn't make a decision for the life of me. Ever been there? It is definitely a struggle. The Dalai Lama helped me clear things up in my mind to make life a little more simple, and we all need a little more simplicity, right? Can I get an Amen! 

Here are some tips from the Dalai Lama that I am trying to focus on: 

1. Happiness. Happiness is hearing, smelling, tasting, feeling something nice. In other words, stop and smell the freaking roses! We all have busy lives, but when something pleasant makes its way into your schedule, appreciate it. 

2. Friends. We have a very few ones who can keep our trust, but making peace with enemies is a source of inner peace too. Cherish the friends you love, and learn to love your enemies because they too come with lessons. This one is a toughy but a goody. Easier said then done Mr. Lama, but my efforts will continue. 

3. Inner peace. Woo-Sah, Alex. Inhale, and Exhale. This is a big one. When Dalai touched on this one I felt relief. Everyone can relax now because these words from the Holiness will soothe your soul. Inner peace is keeping the ability to laugh. Appreciating the little surprises during the day that make you smile, or feel less stressed. Having compassion for others as well as YOURSELF. Finding value not in material things but in things that make you FEEL good. Maybe that's bringing coffee to a friend, or calling someone who you haven't spoke to in a while or paying a random person a compliment. Recognizing and knowing that it is all connected in some way... oneness. I love oneness. 

Okay Mr. Dalai Lama, your messages were not new to me but I definitely needed you to remind me that things are much better when they are simple. So that is how they are going to be from now on, simple.


photo from Google Images


No comments:

Post a Comment